He also pointed out that the board does not own our condos. We all own everything in partnership with the other condo residents.
We, like the board, do have a say in what happens.
Please note that the information given below is NOT official and is only our interpretation of what we heard. Please be sure to read the minutes when they come out!!!
Boy did we learn a lot last night! Our board led by Bill Ferber and our condo association lawyer, Chris Tingey met with the residents present. It was strictly an informational session and the board, along with the residents were allowed to ask questions, exchange ideas and get to know each other. I think we all felt better after we left.
Question and answers dealt with the `Freedom to Display the American Flag Act of 2005', Americans with Disabilities Act, information on how to make changes or different interpretations of the CC&Rs and protection of satellite dishes under law. We also got information on who has the responsibility for maintenance of doors and windows and exchanged ideas for solutions to the hanging planter issue.
Minutes for this meeting will be published after the September meeting and will be posted in the mail room.
But until that I time I will give you the short version of the session.
1. Right to display the flag: H.R. 42 [109th]: Freedom to Display the American Flag Act of 2005
SEC. 3. RIGHT TO DISPLAY THE FLAG OF THE UNITED STATES.
A condominium association, cooperative association, or residential real estate management association may not adopt or enforce any policy, or enter into any agreement, that would restrict or prevent a member of the association from displaying the flag of the United States on residential property within the association with respect to which such member has a separate ownership interest or a right to exclusive possession or use.
SEC. 4. LIMITATIONS.
Nothing in this Act shall be considered to permit any display or use that is inconsistent with--
(1) any provision of chapter 1 of title 4, United States Code, or any rule or custom pertaining to the proper display or use of the flag of the United States (as established pursuant to such chapter or any otherwise applicable provision of law); or
(2) any reasonable restriction pertaining to the time, place, or manner of displaying the flag of the United States necessary to protect a substantial interest of the condominium association, cooperative association, or residential real estate management association.
Please note that we need to follow guidelines for installation of a flag hanger and several ideas were mentioned that would allow for continuity of our display. If they do not come up with a blanket installation of flag poles then we need to get permission and advise on where we can hang them.
It was very exciting!!!
2. Americans With Disabilities Act: One of our residents was asked to remove a mail box they had installed with the help of the post office following their guidelines. Mr.Tingey was recommending that the board did not discuss this in front of the group. We felt bad for the resident.
3. Changes in the CC&Rs: As we understood it, 30% of the residents must support an idea to 'require' the board to take action, whether it be changing the CC&Rs or simply interpreting them differently. This could be done with a petition stating clearly what we want. There are 70(?) condos in our complex. At least 75% of the residents must support any change in the CC&Rs.
4. Door and window maintenance: Residents are responsible for maintenance of windows and doors. Paint colors for the door are listed with Sherman William located on 10th Street in down town Hillsboro. Mr. Tingey recommended that the wording on the window maintenance be changed.
Several residents expressed an interest in hanging plants and were hopeful that the board would come up with an interpretation that would let us make our condos look like a home.
When we prepare to do any of the above things, we must ask our board! They feel strongly that control of such issues protects the value of our property. If we disagree with their interpretation, we need to attend meetings and make ourselves heard in a reasonable manner. We found last night that we could do that and they would listen!!! A very good thing we think.