|Arizona Friends...a wonderful surprise in our retirement life!|
- When were we the happiest in our life?
- Could we do some of the things we miss out on doing when we were young?
- How much money will we have after the dust has settled?
- Would we prefer a 55+ community or do we need to be near a community that includes children?
- What are our hobbies both physically active (golf, tennis, hiking) and relaxing (cards?)
- Can we make friends easily or do we even need friends to have fun?
- Would we want to move to a new location permanently? How would we afford that?"what
- Do we prefer to be outdoors or indoors?
- How long can we endure being away from our family?
- Is it possible that what we dreamed about is not what we will want for an extended period of time?
- If we decide to follow a dream and then don't like it, will we be ruined financially or otherwise?
- How much time do we want to spend together/apart?
- Is living in a small space going to work if you decide to become a snowbird on a small amount of money?
- Do we still want to work part of the time?
- Can we find a way to finance our snowbird lifestyle by working at a resort?
- Can we stand hot or cold weather?
- What are the health issues we need to keep in mind?
- Are we willing to live in a community that is not like home?
- How far away do we want to go? List a few possibilities.
- If we leave the country, (USA or Canada) will there be problems with visas and laws?
- How old will we be when we cannot travel anymore?
- How will my insurance coverage affect where I decide to spend my winters?
- Is the family in agreement over what we decide to do?
- If one refuses to take a step toward what the other wants will that one regret it later?
- How flexible and adventurous are we?
I suggest that you print this list and both partners fill in the answers separately. It will start a conversation that will help you get a clearer picture about what life after work can look like.
Dream the dream but hold onto the reality...oh, AND always spend money less than you have.